Set designer and photographer Florine van Rees has a knack for sourcing beautiful antiques and nailing unique colour combos – her bright and airy Rotterdam apartment is a perfectly curated mix of old and new. Here, she shares her tips on how to make vintage pieces work with what you've got.
1. Don't be afraid to combine different styles, and do it with conviction.
2. Elevate a vintage item by displaying it as a showpiece. My suggestion? Place it on a modern nesting table – that will definitely grab attention.
3. Never underestimate the power of colour when it comes to tying a room together. Pairing contrasting shades, in particular, can have a big impact on the mood and vibe of a space. Cool tones make a room feel fresh and modern, while warm colours add depth.
4. Place vintage items in front of a clean backdrop. This will make the pieces look more valuable, and stops them from feeling like clutter.
5. It's important that your space keeps evolving. Rearrange furniture, and experiment with textures, materials, colours and prints. It gives objects a new function as they switch between being in the background, to being in the foreground. Your overall interior can be transformed by tiny changes like this.
6. The finishing touch? Plants and flowers. And lots of them. They're key when styling any interior, and give your space a personal feel.
Article written by: Gwen Gassler