House extension. If the words fill you with dread, you're not alone. But when Bo Fentum and her family outgrew their home, the interior designer decided to do exactly that. Transforming the space into a Palm Springs-inspired dream house. How did she do it? Planning and research. Lots of it. Here are her tips on extending out, with minimum stress, and maximum style.
1. Plan, plan, plan. Then plan some more. You need to work out every little detail. And don't rush it. Why? Because it'll save you so much time in the long run. And help avoid the heartache of something going wrong in the middle of your build.
2. Do your research. Swot up on building regs, materials and construction methods. That's how you'll make sure you stay on schedule, and minimise surprises along the way. Our biggest mishap? Glazing. I hadn't realised how long it takes for it to be made!
3. Truth time: you will go over budget. Deep breath. How to minimise the damage? Spend wisely. Keep an eye on your purse strings at ALL times, and learn to compromise. You'll find ways to pull back that won't take away from your vision. Promise.
4. Reach out to the experts. Even if you know how you want it to look, they know how to make it work. For our extension, we used an architect who made sure our design was as aesthetically pleasing on the outside as it was on the inside.
5. Eyes on the prize. Stay focused on the end result. Know how you want it to look and what you need to do to achieve it. This'll help keep you and your design on track, and mean that you end up with a home you love.
Want to see more of Bo Fentum's 70s-inspired pad? Click here for the Home Tour.
Article written by: Ellie Hamilton
Photography by: Phill Taylor