If anyone knows how to make the most out of a small space, it’s vintage clothes connoisseur, Daisy Murray. Her East London home is packed with hordes of eBay finds. But with one look at the pristine pad, you’d never know. How does she keep it looking so spotless? Read on to find out.
1. The floor is lava. By which I mean, keep as many things off the floor as possible. Stack your stuff on leaning or floating shelves, and use the walls. A clear floor gives the illusion of more space, making the room feel bigger.
2. Maximise storage in every nook and cranny, and choose furniture with hidden compartments. For me, that’s a rail and shoe rack under the stairs, storage trunks that double as a TV stand, and a handy storage bed.
3. Zone it. A small space can feel like one room, so use colour to define different areas. We’ve chosen sleepy soft greys and blues for the bedroom, and cosy neutrals in the living room.
4. Adaptable furniture is your friend. We love hosting, but a large dining table and chairs wasn’t feasible for us. Instead, we have a table and matching benches that lie flat against the wall, which we can whip out whenever we need.
5. Expensive-looking details can change the way you feel about your home. Being in a small space can sometimes feel claustrophobic, but refined accessories like modern dinnerware and bouji water glasses will elevate your everyday.
Article written by: Ellie Hamilton