If the thought of DIY fills you with dread, fear not. Jess & Darius – the duo behind Insta account @cluelessrenovators – have learnt all the tricks, so you don’t have to. Read on for their penny-saving renovation tips.
1. Plan, plan and plan some more – try to visualise your rooms before you commit to spending money. We used masking tape to mark out where our furniture could go, and even built a kitchen island out of cardboard boxes to see if it would fit! There are lots of helpful 3D planning apps out there, too (check out MADE's here).
2. You’ll be surprised at how much you can learn with a little help from the internet. We’ve turned our hands to everything from building walls to plumbing, and saved ourselves hundreds of pounds in the process. Instagram’s a great place for DIY tips – there’s such an inspiring, creative community on there.
3. Before you start on a room, think about where you want to put the lights. It’s much cheaper to decide before any renovating happens. Floor lamps are great for brightening up dark corners, and pendant lights will help you to see what you’re doing. Oh, and you can never have too many plug sockets.
4. Don’t be afraid to experiment with colour, especially paint – it’s relatively cheap to change and can transform your space. We used limewash paint to add texture (watch our how-to here). And if your mid-reno room is feeling chaotic, fill it with calming plants. They don’t cost the earth, and will make it look more complete.
5. Mix old and new to make your house feel homey. We love trawling antique shops for interesting pieces. Our vintage light was a steal on eBay and complements these brass plant pots perfectly. I’m also a fan of contrasting textures, like our leather pouffe and earthy, wooden shoe rack.